- We are a team of interdisciplinary researchers and students at Virginia Tech.
- Our aim is to improve the outcomes of ecological restoration through cutting edge research and capacity building.
- We value strong ecological curiosity, tenacity in pursuit of knowledge, clear and honest communication, compassion and mutual support.
Our Team: The Cecropias
Leighton Reid is an Assistant Professor in the School of Plant and Environmental Sciences at Virginia Tech. He has written extensively on ecological restoration and biodiversity conservation and is among the most well-cited experts in the subfield of spatially-patterned restoration. His current research focuses on improving the outcomes of ecological restoration in temperate and tropical terrestrial ecosystems. He also teaches courses on ecological restoration. He advises restoration projects in Virginia and internationally and is a research associate at the Missouri Botanical Garden.
PhD student. Jordan’s ecological interests include plant community ecology, the impact of introduced species and pathogens on native species, and ecosystem restoration. She is studying the development of plant communities, arthropod communities, and soil chemistry throughout the process of eastern warm-season grassland restoration.
MS student. Ecological impacts of invasive Arthraxon hispidus on native grasslands in Virginia.
Research associate & Executive Director of Green Again Madagascar.
Undergraduate researcher. Native tree seedling survival in dry season plantings in eastern Madagascar.
Undergraduate researcher. Soil carbon storage in restored grasslands in northern Virginia.
Botanist. Plant biodiversity in northern Virginia native grasslands.
- Crislaine de Almeida (Visiting student 2020), PhD student at Federal University of São Carlos, Brazil
- Victoria de la Paz Bernasconi Torres (Visiting student 2019, MOBOT)
- Frederico Domene (Visiting student 2018, MOBOT), Postdoctoral researcher at the University of São Paulo, Brazil
- Matt Hill (Visiting student 2017-2018, MOBOT), Executive Director, Green Again Madagascar
- Estefania Pilar Fernandez Barrancos (Visiting student 2016, MOBOT), PhD student at University of Missouri St. Louis
- Mahala Lorenzo (2019, MOBOT)
- Alex Mendes (2018, MOBOT)
- Victoria Beishir (2017, MOBOT)
- Joseph Smith (2017, MOBOT)
- Olivia Hajek (2016, MOBOT)